Friday, October 14, 2011

Libraries have a bright future in our brave new world

I found an article about how the British Library is moving forawrd into the digital medium scanning their past and most treasured collections and made available as an app on the iPad.  This is one way for them to stay relevant and to expose the collection to a new audience.

As one of the comments mentioned, if this encourages more people into the library to see the real thing, I believe would be a good thing - they then get the best of both worlds.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/blogs/the-geek/libraries-have-a-bright-future-in-our-brave-new-world-20110613-1fznc.html?comments=18#comments

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, I've just purchased an iPad 2 and will be happy to put it to good use... (wish I had seen this article earlier while researching social media)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting that article link.
    I believe that the University of Newcastle libraries use Flickr to do something similar. One downside that I've read about (while researching for my essay)is that if your scanned images are stored on an off-site server you may at times lose access due to server downtime.

    ReplyDelete